Yeah, I'm trying to dreadlock my hair. Why? Well, I have about a thousand reasons! Allow me to enlighten you~
- I've always wanted to. So there's one check off my bucket list!
- I think I'd look good with dreads!
- I hate brushing my long ass hair 8 times per day or more.
- I have babies. Babies pull hair.
- I don't want to cut my hair off. But it's either short hair or dreads.
- I think dreads are beautiful (depending on the wearer/caretaker).
- My healthy, thick hair knots itself ridiculously on a regular basis making it virtually impossible to comb out but really easy to dread.
- I feel like I look better with crazy hair.
- I also feel like I have more creative freedom with hair expression if I have dreads.
- I don't have an employer who could care if I have dreads and I probably won't any time in the near future.
- I think I will have a better and closer relationship with my hair if I have dreads to care for. (As it stands now, my hair just makes me mad every day. I know most people would hate me for that because I have nice hair. But it's the somber truth.)
- I want to experience the "dreadlock journey" as so many dreadies call it.
- Just because I'm me and the me I know and love would try wearing dreads at some point in life.
- And also because I finally don't care what other people think of me or my hair! I'm me, with dreads or without them.
So there is a pretty solid list of some pretty solid reasons. I am about 3 days in, slowly adding more dreads as life will allow. I got about half of my hair down and I'm using the twist and rip method. I like thin dreads and I feel as though backcombing makes dreads too fat. Also, you lose a lot of hair length. So far my hair is relatively the same length, maybe a few inches shorter. I'm going all natural (no, I am not using the "Neglect" method, that just seems gross to me) so I am not using dread wax or any of that B.S.
I did a LOT of research for this. So I will be keeping my dreads nice and clean and I know how to take care of my dreads in a natural, healthy way. Hopefully in a couple of months' time I will have pretty dreadlocks! :)